[aprssig] Re: *** APRS TNC Test CD Now Available *** --- Can't Play It

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 07:39:35 EST 2006

Hi..

I've found in the past, that you sometimes have to have Nero, or
whatever burning software you use and only that software running (no
background stuff, other than the usual winders suspects) even sometimes
needing the network cable pulling, so as to create a disk that will play
on an audio player without skipping...

However, I just unzipped the download, saved the contents somewhere I
could find it later, started Nero, then went to burn an image, selected
the drive to use, pointed it at the unzipped file and let fly, then went
and did something else instead while the PC got on with it.

When I got back later.  Success, even with all sorts of other stuff
running (some emails came in at that time!) guess a fastish CPU, loads
of RAM, and a CD-RW drive with it's own buffer underun protection helps
somewhat.  W2k, 512M ram, P4 1.4G, and some "Far Eastern Origin" OEM
ATAPI-IDE CD-RW drive.

Even then, I tend to not burn audio CD's any faster than 4x, just to
make sure.  The system is supposedly capable of much faster rates, but
in practice, you end up with "skippy" disc's if you push it much past
6x...

Thinking about it, having a "data" track at the beginning, not the end
of the compilation may indeed screw up some players, probably the more
capable ones too, after all my old Discman just "played" it (silently)
as any other track, perhaps some players "see" a data track, then assume
the rest is data?  Most other mixed format CD's I've seen, have the
audio stuff first, then the other content...   Not tried it myself with
WiMP yet.

WiMP, is however renown for sometimes doing odd things with mixed
content disks, and also for the several odd way's to make it behave,
though it does seem to vary from one machine to another.

However, in this case I for one, much to my pleasure and surprise, have
not (yet) had any real problems with the disk.  I've still not sent the
contents to a TNC, way too busy, and the shack is being dismantled prior
to some building work at the moment too.

73

Dave G0WBX.