[aprssig] APRS spouse

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue May 30 10:57:32 EDT 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Herb Gerhardt wrote:

> This topic has been beaten to death over the years.

Amen!  Although the original poster suggested that as a possibility
too.  hi hi

> The answer came back from the ARRL that stated that this was perfectly legal
> as long as a Control Operator was available to control the tracker and have
> it shut down within a reasonable amount of time should something go frubar.
                        -------------------------

The definition of "reasonable amount of time" has been debated as
well:  Make up your own definition as long as you believe it sticks
to the intent of the rules.

For instance, I personally wouldn't mind sending a tracker into the
woods with my callsign on somebody else's SAR team, even if they had
no hams among them and might go out-of-reach of voice comms for some
period.  Those are the realities of SAR here.  I know they'll
typically be returning within a few hours, perhaps the next day if
they're going long or traversing glaciers.

The chances of the tracker going crazy and interfering with other
radio comms out in the mountains is about nil.  Okay, maybe they
_could_ affect APRS satellites, but even that would be unlikely.
The _intent_ is there to control the package via the voice comms, or
to relay my shutoff command via other teams.  Whether or not I _can_
in any particular instance, who knows?  I'm putting forth my best
effort to instigate the control function.  If I don't succeed when
it's out of my hands, I'll be able to in a few hours when I regain
physical control of it.

My opinion.