[aprssig] TEMPn-N and callsign digipeating

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 29 14:46:53 EDT 2006

>>> scott at opentrac.org 05/29/06 12:25 PM >>>
>> I can clairfy things a little bit.  Remember, TEMPn-N can
>> be used anywhere a D700 is, usually this is on 144.39
>> where the D700's already are.  But if the channel is so
>
>I haven't been paying much attention to this thread -
>can someone explain what's D700-specific about this?

It arrises from these "givens":

1) All D700's can act as full function New-N Paradigm digis
just like other modern TNC's, but there are 4 problems:
a) It takes a LAPTOP to set them up that way
b) That makes it a pain to set up for a one time event
c)  and a pain to de-configure them for normal ops
d) and makes it a time-bomb to the network when
    people forget and leave them operating as full
    function digis all the rest of the time.

2) Therefore, we propsoed that all D700's be permanently
pre-configured to act as full function TEMPn-N digis.
Hence they are there, ready to be used at any time,
yet they do not interfere with normal nework operation.
Think of it as an invisible stand-by capability that
can be used by anyone at anytime when he cant get
out using the normal WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, then he
can try getting out via a nearby TEMPn-N d700 if
he is lucky.  Or if someone parks their car fortuotously
for an event.

3) This is in addition, and independent of the ability
FROM THE FRONT PANEL, to configure the D700 as
a temprary WIDE1-1 digi.  But the same caution applies
here too.  That is that a D700 should never be left
with WIDE1-1 DIGI activated  unless there is a unique
present need for it.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Scott