[aprssig] TEMPn-N and callsign digipeating

wa7nwp at jnos.org wa7nwp at jnos.org
Mon May 29 12:32:49 EDT 2006

> Plan B)
> Since the new WIDEn-n system says that the preferred path for trackers is
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2, why not simply set the UIDIGI on a
> d700
> that will be used as an emergency digipeater to WIDE1-1?  You can do that
> with the front panel, no pc required.  And since the trackers are already
> programed to use wide1-1 as the first hop, there is no need for a PC to
> reconfigure them either.  Just park a d700 on a hill with UIDIGI set to
> WIDE1-1 on 144.99 and adjust the TX offset in the trackers.  The
> disadvantage of this is that the emergency digipeater won't digipeat any
> packets in from more than one hop, but then again, we're not looking for
> that.

That's the "cafe digi" syndrome.   We've often met and played radio in
cafes.  Getting packets out via a mobile digi has been easy.  Getting them
back in to a marginal portable station has been very problematic.  We get
out but don't hear the replies.

My solution - add WIDE2-1 to the TEMP1-1 and WIDE1-1 (and mycall) settings
of UIDIGI.  That'll bring in some of the packets from the wide area nodes
and since it's already the end-gate of the packet path, it won't affect
the network routing outside of a few extra packets.  Fortunately it's very
easy to change the UIDIGI setting of a D700 (or set up a separate PM for
it) so this can be quickly turned on and off.

More Packets!

Bill - WA7NWP