[aprssig] TEMPn-N and callsign digipeating

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 29 09:54:31 EDT 2006

>.. and the thing I can't grasp is _why_ change the
>alias to TEMPn-n?  During an emergency, the
>last thing I want to be doing is reconfiguring a bunch
>of trackers.

Think of the backup TEMPn-N network only as a D700
capability only.  That is all that TEMPn-N is, is the
ability to -pre-configure- all D700's as TEMPn-N
digis.  This way, they are already configured and can
be called into service at any time or used by anyone
at anytime without having to use a laptop to
reconfigure each D700 each time it is needed.

So given that TEMPn-N is a backup D700 capability
only, this new idea of adding TEMPn-N support
to alt-input dgis on 144.99 too is just a way to then give the
D700 emergency backup system, a pre-configured
entry point back into 144.39.

> Much easier to just... make the only configuration
>change to the trackers to change the offset from simplex
>to +600.

That is all they ever have to do.  Because the alt-input
system listens for W1-1 and in addition, any TEMPn-N
D700 tepmorary digis also listen for W1-1 (set from the
front panel).

But the key here, is that the purpose of temporary as-
needed TEMPn-N is to support emergency needs such
as messages into and out of an emergency area.  It is
not intended to support trackers because the whole idea
here is to use TEMPn-N by stations that do not have to
be reconfigured with a PC.

Scenario is this.  Emergency happens.  WIDEn-N does not
work in an area at the scene.  D700 volunteers to drive
to hill top.  Instantly anyone in the area can get out
by changing their path to TEMPn-N because the D700
should already be configured as a TEMPn-N digi.  All
of this is still on 144.39.   Primarily for messaging in
and out of the deadzone area.

But this new idea is to simply
suggest that alt-input digis also be listening for
TEMPn-N packets.  This is so that the D700's that
are serving as a backbone multi-hop link into or out of a
special area, can operate on 144.99 to drastically
eliminate the QRM and so that their traffic will move
much faster.  Yet, this TEMPn-N traffic can be gated
over to 144.39 by any alt-input digi if needed.

>the thing that is paramount here is to make sure that
>only  trackers TX on 144.99... all routed/digipeated
>traffic must stay on 144.39 so the trackers have nothing
>but other trackers to compete with.

Yes, but now I am suggesting that this channel can also
be used for emergency communications needs and the
range further extended using TEMPn-N.  Again, not
for extending tracker range, (unless they can reconfigure)
but for extenindg messaging capability.

>My suggestion for high digi's that want to be alt input is
>that they go ahead and invest in a set of 2m cavities
>tuned 144.39/99.  That way the digi won't go deaf on 99
>when it transmits on 39.

This is economically not justifyable.  The TX dutycycle
of the alt-input digi is so low, that it makes no sense to
install cavities for such a low percentage of time that it
would make any difference.   Say you have 5 low power
trackers at 2 minute rates in range of this digi.  That
means that the probabilty of a collision you describe is
less than 5%.  A really big Investment in cavities to
improve performance from 95% collision free to 100%
collision free is not a good return on investment.

>Also, holdoff sensing on 144.39 is very desireable.

Agreed.

Thanks
Bob, Wb4APR