[aprssig] TEMPn-N and callsign digipeating

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 28 18:32:42 EDT 2006

Yes, to transition to and from TEMPn-N, then
actual calls would be needed or other generics.

But if a TEMPn-N packet arrives at your location
as DIGI1,DIGI2,TEMP3-1, then it went through
two TEMPn-N diigs to get to you, so any TEMPn-N
response would get back to him.  But if the sender
sent the packet via  RELAY,TEMP3-3, AND there
was a RELAY digi on that frequency then
it would arrive as DIGI1,DIGI2,TEMP3-2
and you would have to have a quick eye to notice
that DIGI1 cannot be a TEMPn-N digi, because
only 1 n-N hop was used (3-2).

BUT!!! Under this emergency operations scenario,
a REPLYING staiton could always use the return
path with explicit calls and it would have to always
work.  Maybe we have to come up with procedures
to eliminate these kinds of problems:  Rules:

1)  TO be CERTAIN of successful reply to an incomming
TEMPn-N messsage, try listing each digi explicitly.

2) Hum,m,h... we cannot tell senders to avoid
creative mixing of TEMPn-N and explicit digis, becuause
that is what this is all about.  Creating paths as needed
in special circumstances.  Therefore, I guess the
rule of thumb is to always reply with explicit list of
digis unless one is smart enough to actually figure out
how the packet got to you in the first place.  ANd
some arriving paths will simply be ambiguous to be
sure...

So only rule is #1?

Bob

>>> wa7nwp at jnos.org 05/28/06 6:13 PM >>>
>>... getting some TEMPn-N activity here for Field Day.
>>...   Does a TEMPn-N D700 mobile digi automatically
>>digipeat on the stations callsign or will it be necessary
>>to add it to the UIDIGI settings?
>
> Im not sure I follow, but TEMPn-N packets should work
> just exactly like WIDEn-N packets, but of course will
> only go through other TEMPn-N digis.

Once we learn (thanks to callsign substitution) the digi's to use to get
to a desired alternate station, we want to switch from using the generic
Tn-N to specific calls.  For example, once I learn that the path to the
WB4APR-13 airmail station is via the WA7NWP-7 TEMPn-N digi, I would switch
to using WA7NWP-7 to Connect to WB4APR-13.  The question is, does WA7NWP-7
have to be added to one of the four UIDIGI settings on the D700 or will
the D700 automatically digipeat on mycall.  (Yes I know - it'll take about
2 minutes to test it here.  Which I will do after the shortly upcoming
afternoon adventure..)

Bill