[aprssig] Preparing for a long roadtrip

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sun May 28 15:10:10 EDT 2006

I'll be driving 6 or 7 thousand miles in a few weeks.  I'm curious if
there is anything I need to do that is "special" during any part of
this trip.

What I plan on for the "default" setup:
VHF using 50 W of power, with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.  I'll reduce
power if I hear a more than a couple of my own packets.  I'll be
beaconing every 2 or 3 minutes.

Part of the trip includes Canada (Ontario and Quebec).  In Canada, if
I understand the rules right, I need to identify as N7XUC/VE3 or
N7XUC/VE2 depending on province.  It also says that I need to
identify my geographic location.  Is putting N7XUC/VE3 (or 2,
depending on province I'm in) in my status text sufficient to be
legal?  (I'll use two PM's for this on my D700)  I try not to violate
other country's laws when visiting.  :)  Are there any significant
differences (legal or technical) regarding APRS in Canada that I need
to know about?

If I decide to use my new HF privileges, can I do HF APRS on 10.151
LSB while in Canada?  (don't bother looking me up on QRZ yet - I just
passed yesterday)

I'll be leaving Denver, CO via I-76, meeting up with I-80 in
Nebraska, going across I-80 until just after entering Ohio, at which
point I'll be heading north to the Canadian border through Detroit.
Then I'll head across Canada, hitting Toronto and Montreal, and
eventually heading south again to enter Vermont near Burlington.
I'll be heading down through New York State, into NJ and
Pennsylvania, and then, basically, taking I-70 back to the Denver area.

Anyone that can provide suggestions for any of the above if there is
anything I need to know would be helpful!  I'm particularly
interested in getting good position reports into Findu (so a few non-
ham friends can track my progress) while I'm in or near Toronto,
Burlington (VT), New Jersey, and the Philadelphia area.