[aprssig] Packet errors

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 26 10:08:09 EDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006 rahammond at charter.net wrote:

> One of our local digis, which was recently reconfigured, keeps turning up on Steve's packet error page. Can someone tell me what's causing the error so that we can make the appropriate changes?
>

> WY0F-15>BEACON,qAO,K0SUN-15:;LARC14676 UTICA,NE DIGI

A semicolon at the start of a packet means an object.  The object
name must be a 9-character field, which you appear to have, but then
you don't have the rest of the object format correct.  It should
have a '*' after the nine-character field, then a time/date stamp,
then lat/long/symbol info.

I suspect you were trying for some other type of APRS packet,
perhaps a status packet?  In that case, it should look like this:

  WY0F-15>BEACON,qAO,K0SUN-15:>LARC14676 UTICA,NE DIGI

I got this from the APRS spec.