[aprssig] EB-432/PCSAT2/APRS Question

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Wed May 24 18:04:55 EDT 2006

Hi,

I purchased an EB-432 before christmas and really only got it
installed a few weeks ago.  Thus far, I'm not sure if its is an
improvement or not.  I have it mounted on the chimney cap, and about
1 foot of RG-58A/U away is an SSB-7000 Pre-amp.

I no longer seem to be able to decode any 9k6 telemetry signals, but
the 'average' signal level from all satellites seems to be higher.
And far more 1200 baud packets decoded! I have Westflex 103 up as far
as a Surge Protector and more Westflex up to the Antenna.

Previously, I was using a Dual Band Co-linear, with the pre-amp in-
line instead of the surge protector and I seemed to be getting better
results with it (more telemetry decoded).

Testing with a terrestrial station (and the EB-432) a S1, 1200 baud
signal is decoding almost every second go.. switch on the Pre-Amp and
the signal is going to up a S9+10.

I'm using the linux soundmodem driver and I've never really 'tweaked'
the settings for 9600 baud, so I would appreciate any input on how I
could do this.  Another is that the ISS is moving towards earlier and
earlier passes so I won't have a live data source to test with.

Bearing in mind that I was able to get at least a few packets per day
decoded with the TH-D7 and a 19" whip sitting on a biscuit tin lid,
this is kind of a let down.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Regards
de John