[aprssig] RELAY in path still

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 22 11:36:48 EDT 2006

>Can somebody with authority tell these guys to get rid of
>the RELAY in their path? Apparently they don't listen to me,
>I mentioned it to them last Fall to no avail! Here's an example...

Possibly a better way of saying this might be,"can someone
alert these stations that RELAY is obsolete and that their packets
will work more reliably for them if they use the new
recommendations".  Taking the approach of "telling them
to change" is probably going to be met with resistance...

Also, it appears that there is much more that the local digi sysops
need to do to come into the New-N paradigm.  Looking at these
packets:

NS1RA-1>BEACON,RELAY*,WIDE3-3,qAS,N1UEC:(Relay, WideN-N, Trace)
NS1RA-1>BEACON,KB1AEV-15*,WIDE3,qAO,KC2YU-1: (Relay, WideN-N, Trace)

1) The first one suggests there are still some old RELAY fill-in-digis
that have not shifted to WIDE1-1 support.

2) The second packet suggests that there are  1, 2  or 3
digis that are not supporting New-N in that area.
     a) Either the first 2 digis are not New-N (no tracing)
     b) or the last digi KB1AEV-15 is not new-N and is wrongfully
         still using UIFLOOD with ID on that is obliterating the
         prior traceable path.
    c) Or The KB1AEV-15 is still supporting RELAY and then
        there are three other surrouding digis and NONE Of
        them support New-N.

>The network up here is flooded with their garbage!

And it looks like the "network" is doing none of the New-N
techniques to help solve the problem.  So I think the
emphasis should be on getting the digis to all support the
details of the New-N and most of these problems will
go away.  It is better to fix the network first before
hammering too hard on the users...

Just some thoughts..
Bob, WB4APR