[aprssig] motorcycle mobile tracker

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Sun May 21 08:26:07 EDT 2006

I worked thru similar issues with my motorcycle over the past 9 months.

I started with a TT3 and an HT. I found that the rubber duck did not provide
me with very good coverage. I upgraded antenna's until I found that a 1/2 wave
gave me the best results. I do not yet have anything mounted on the bike;
everything is in a metal box that I strap onto the luggage rack.

In other testing, I have decided (and have sitting at my side now) that a D700
would be a better solution for me on the bike. I've got a friend making an
antenna mount for me to mount the 1/2 wave antenna and plan to put the D700 in
the trunk.

The HT does a great job while in areas that have good coverage, but we work
some events where coverage is not so good, so having the option of extra power
will be nice. Plus, having 1 radio to do both APRS and voice will make my life
easier.

Now all I need to figure out is how to integrate the audio (mic/speaker) into
the intercom system on the bike.

I started this testing with a 1983 Yamaha Venture...in March of this year, I
upgraded to a 2006 Gold Wing.

YMMV

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
http://mckeehan.homeip.net

Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods.
Every time you do so you will be certain to find something that you have never
seen before.
     - Alexander Graham Bell