[aprssig] motorcycle mobile tracker

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Sun May 21 01:27:13 EDT 2006

I notice on Findu.com that your path is WIDE3-3.  This means the I-Gate is
hearing you direct and not through a digipeater.  Otherwise your path would
be WIDE3-2 or WIDE3-1.  So you are probably within a mile of the I-Gate.

A pockettracker is 100-200 milliwatts.  This means that it can only be used
under special circumstances.  They would be great at a marathon or parade
where a nearby D700 could be setup to relay the signal to a more distant
digipeater.

AX.25 needs a S4 or S5 signal strength to decode properly.  Even if you have
have line of sight, 100 milliwatts is just not enough power to be heard by a
digipeater more than a mile or two away.