[aprssig] New -N Paradigm Works!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat May 20 10:21:32 EDT 2006

>>> ar798 at tcnet.org 05/20/06 12:08 AM >>>
>K8SN-2>QST,W8LRC,WIDE3*::BLNA :....
>K8SN-2>APRS,KC8YXF*,WIDE4-1:... GRR Digi R,W,T,MI,WX

Actually, there was a time before the New-N paradign where
it was suggested that a W4-4 packet once every 4 hours or
so from a digi was ok.  And since this digi advertises itself
as a R,W,T, it appears simply that this digi has not yet
upgraded to the New-N settings.  But it seems to be a well
managed digi, because it does advertise its settings and
it does give a contact point.

I am sending him an email to suggest maybe it is time to
consider converting over to the New-N paradigm settings
that have made such a big difference everywhere else.

>And I think we have a digi around here thats setup wrong:
>WA8WG-10>...!4558.00NS08629.30W#PHG5560...(WIDEn-N Only)

I don't see anything obvious?  He has the "S" overlay,
so that means he should have all the New-N settings
properly set.  But since he did not  included the
standard "Wn,SSn" notification, then that makes one
wonder  what other settings he omitted too?

>N8XYR>APU25N,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2:
>;444.950 *191224z4532.71N/08450.99WmWA8EFE-Repeater -pl 103.5 Pellston,Mi

That is an object for the nearby APRS voice repeater
but I di wish that everyone that puts one of these on the
map would include the PHG data in the voice repeater object
so that people could see the RANGE of the digi on their
maps.  This is so much more revealing for users...

Bob