[aprssig] DXCluster to APRS-RF

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu May 18 11:13:01 EDT 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2006, Steve Dimse wrote:
>
>> I also field emails from angry hams who do
>> not want their position on APRS.
>
> Like their home address is secret or something?  ;-)
>
> Actually, I've seen some addresses in the FCC database that are PO
> boxes, so some hams _are_ trying to hide their true location.
>
> Either that or the PO Box was picked up in the FCC database instead
> of the street location.  Last time I looked the street address was a
> required field on the form.  They really want to know where the
> transmitters are.

People can be touchy about this sort of thing. The problem is not
from APRSers, but generally goes something like this... ham googles
his own call, finds a page that says "Position of W9XYZ", looks at
it, and is either concerned that there is a web page with his
location, that the location is in the wrong place, or both. It forces
me to waste time explaining DX spots, APRS, and findU to a hostile
audience. (Understand, I don't care that the ham is upset, only that
it wastes MY time ;-)

Steve K4HG