[aprssig] APRS Secret Message Codes

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed May 17 17:07:38 EDT 2006

APRS messaging on the D700 is a bit limited but entirely usable with the
microphone.  However, when in motion it's awkward at the best.  Often
I'm finding myself in contact with other folks in a situation more
workable for sending text.  So they send complete one liners and I'm
replying with quickies.

Then last weekend I learned that it's fairly easy (push button, twist
knob, push button) to send a one letter message from the front panel.
The first two codes, 0 for no and 1 for yes, were pretty straight
forward.  A bit of beer drinking led to the following list.   Maybe it's
something we can all standardize on.  Any suggestions or comments?

73,
Bill - WA7NWP

---

APRS Messaging Secret Codes

0 - NO
1 - YES
2 - Can't talk now - XYL is watching and volume is turned down
3 - BRB - be right back  (3 == B)
4 - hi hi  (H/h looks like 4)
5 - Meet you at the normal (frequency/coffee shop)
6 - What's happening?  Que pasa?
7 - 73's, good bye
8 - Honk - Jab (5+3 Hi Dave)
9 - Poke, nudge, hey there!