[aprssig] Re: DFing voice on 144.39 in NOVA

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Wed May 17 08:23:23 EDT 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 7:20 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Now that we have really localized the signal, to about 1/4
> mile or so,  I cant find the data base that used to be on line
> that would plot all hams in a given area.  Can someone fix
> me up with that site to show all hams withing 2 miles of
> 3854.72N 07653.81W?             thanks.  Bob

I had another thought...

I suspect this is someone with a sound card interface, running APRS
software that just happens to announce new stations - which are being
announced over the same sound card as they are using for their
packet...  I don't know what software does that, but that, too, would
probably help narrow it down.  It might also help you know what to
transmit to get longer phrases of speech out of it.

But that means it's almost certainly a home station.  I believe this
is pretty well supported by the DF work already done.

In addition, the station itself is very likely beaconing it's
position...  If there is no station showing up in the area (set
squelch to full, maybe connect a poor antenna or attenuator, on a
mobile APRS rig with display in the area and sit there for 30
minutes...  It may tell you exactly where it is and if not you may
only hear one or two stations and know which one it is from that...).

But, even if it isn't, I'm guessing that this station has a computer
and display based on it's behavior.  Why not send out a beacon from a
mobile in the area?  Something low powered, with a bad antenna, and
with a path that doesn't include a digi?  The beacon could say
something like, "A station in range of this bulletin is transmitting
QRM onto the channel.  That station is set to announce new stations
as they appear, and this announcement is going out onto the air.
Please fix your station!"  Maybe even include a URL that has
explanation of the problem.  If you know what program is doing this,
add that in too.  Most programs pop up beacons, so they would
probably see it.

Does it matter if we know exactly *which* ham is doing this, or is it
more important that we get it fixed?  Likely this is simply a
misconfiguration and the person doesn't even know he's doing this!