[aprssig] Omni DFing...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 12 14:38:47 EDT 2006

>>> Art Hostmark <ahostma at hostmark.org> 05/12/06 2:20 PM >>>
> My problem is that you repeatedly jump in here
>saying you are doing this wrong, it is supposed
>to be this way.  We then look at the protocol document
>and say no, it does not say that here.

Correct.  The ground rules establsihed by TAPR for
documenting APRS in the spec were that there was to
be NO OPERATIONAL information in the spec.  Nothing
but formatsl.   I was TOTALLY against that.  Because it
is the *how-we-use* APRS that makes APRS what it is,
not just a bucnch of formats.

So YES, I jump in and offer the *how-to-use* informatioin
that was all left out of the spec at every opportunity.
It is because of this omission that we continually see
APRS clones that do not do a lot of what APRS was
designed to do.  THey think all they have to do is
plot LAT/LONG on a map and that is all there is to it.

I have over 20 years experience in *how-to-use* APRS
and its predecessor CETS and so I try to help others
when they may be not seeing the trees for the forrest.

>In short, the document does not define APRS the
>same way you do.

Yes, because I am interested in how we *use* APRS to
serve applications in ham radio.  A dry protocol document
with a list of formats completely misses all of that.

>So how would a company wanting to manufacture a
>new APRS product figure out how it is supposed to
>work?

Use the protocol to implement it.  But talk to the
people with the most experience about how it should
best be used and what is a good human interface.
And what applications in Ham Radio are ideal for it.

>Does that make it clearer?

Yes, and I hope you see that there is a big difference
between the spec which simply shows how to parse
data compared to the overall mission and applications
of APRS that can cover the width and bredth of
ham radio.

de Wb4APR, Bob