[aprssig] Omni DFing...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 12 08:56:43 EDT 2006

>I don't get it.
>I don't understand at all what that has to do with
>my power output nor how APRS fits in the picture
>except as a way to do the mapping.

PHG is a field that is supposed to be in all APRS fixed
position reports that includes your stations power,
antenna height, antenna gain, and any directivity.
APRS uses this station performance info to display
approximate relative  coverage range for each station.

Viewing a map with these contours gives one an easy
view of the relative performance of each station and
therefore a way to visualize the network and how
to build a path if needed.

For DFing, The Power digit is replaced with a signal
strength report.  Now then your station's position
includes its Antenna Height, Gain and Directivity and
now signal strength heard.  APRS uses that knowledge
to plot signal strength contours so tht it is easy
to visualize the probable location of the unknown
signal using nothing but these signal reports. See;

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html

The most striking thing is the great contribution
from ZERO signal reports which plot as dark areas
showing where the signal IS-NOT.  Normal DFing
with beams requires:
1) People with Beams     (1% of users)
2) People that can hear the signal  (3% of users)

Now, with APRS OMNI-DFing, you get:
1) Data from ANYONE with a radio (100% of users)
2) Data from EVERYONE (100%).

Notice the TWO ORDERS of magnitude more data
you get when you need to locate an unknown signal.
>From day one, Signal Location was one of the
main applications of APRS, though many of the
clone softwares did not include it.

So only 1 digit in your PHG has anything to do with
your power.  The other 3 quantify your station's
propogation performance which is *very important
information* in an RF network (APRS).

Hope that helps.
Bob, WB4APR