[aprssig] PHG in APRS and Xastir?

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Thu May 11 21:23:15 EDT 2006

I know this was discussed ad nauseum before but you can't have a negative
PHG. To have a negative PHG your saying you don't have any coverage and
wouldn't that be the same as not having a station? Height Above Average
Terrain in the APRS spec isn't the same thing as HAAT in the FCC sense of
the word. To synopsis the long previous discussion PHG isn't a science it's
only relative and very relative at that. Instead of using the phrase "Height
Above Average Terrain" it probably should have said, "Roughly what's the
height of your tower compared to things close by"...but that would be too
wordy. ;-D