[aprssig] PHG in APRS and Xastir?

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Thu May 11 15:11:20 EDT 2006

Jan T. Pharo wrote:

>Kai Gunter Brandt <kai.brandt at hjemme.no>, Thu, 11 May 2006 17:45:22
>+0200:
>

>>And if you have some other info in this field in UI-View then the TH-D7
>>and TM-D700 is not displaying this information corectly.
>>

>That's possible. I do not bother to look at aprs messages in my TH-D7
>while driving, so I haven't seen e.g. my home station's beacon content
>on a D7. I keep an eye (well, two eyes) on the road and on what is
>necessary to drive and find my way (incl the map on the GPS).

Yes but if you are portable and/or  have stoped then you can see how far
away the station is from your position. And you can see the PHG data. So
it depends on how you are using the information.

>>So its useless without the plugin. But ok if you dont want to see the
>>circles...
>>

>UI-View is useless without the plugin... well, that's your opinion.
>Now, the plugin which you use in order to get PHG circles displayed,
>is available for free, so nobody will deny you to use it with UI-View
>so you can see your own and other stations' PHG circles.

The PHG data is useless in UI-View without the plugin.
And UI-View was the best windows program for APRS.
But for known reasons the development has stopped :o( but this program
could be so much more if there was a better API so people could make
more plugins.

>But - if everything is so bad with UI-View, then rather use a piece of
>software that is doing what _you_ want it do do.

This is the problem.... I'm using UI-View to "talk" to my TNC and have
enabled the local aprs server and then connect AGW-Tracker to this local
server. Then i get all the MAP functions missing in ui-view, i get the
PHG displayed that suits my taste, i get better messaging functions. And
all other functions i use UI-View. So combining those two programs then
you have almost one complete program :o)

And its easyer to make plugins for AGW-tracker.
But none of the programs suits me as a standalone even with all the
plugins that ui-view have.

So dont missunderstand.....
UI-View is the most complete windows APRS software...
AGW-Tracker is far from complete but stil going strong.

Xastir is my main aprs program and much easyer to make plugins for but
this needs a lot of programming before  it can be compared with ui-view.
But this is mainly because of the GUI and some "sticky  windows" or what
they are called in x-windows...