[aprssig] NMO

Dale Blanchard wa7ixk at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 23:33:18 EDT 2006

Rod,VE1BSK wrote:
> Thanks to all who advised me re the correct meaning of "NMO" and above
> all to Bob, who went into some of the history of the connection and made
> it that much more meaningful. Again, tnks to all, 73 de Rod,VE1BSK.
I sent this last year to another list.
Just more info for you. The pre NMO mounts trapped water with the
antenna off. Many ham antennas still come with older older style mounts
WA7IXK
Dale

Jason wrote:

 > Who makes the lowest profile NMO rain cover.  I've got a Larsen cover
but it sticks up
 > more than an inch.  I'm looking for one that won't draw any attention
on my wife's car. She's a little weird about have anything visible on
her car.

Mine sticks up 3/4 inch. You can paint it the same color as the car and
it will hardly be noticed.
The rain won't hurt it if it is left off.
When they developed the NMO mount a rep told me it had been designed to
go thru car washes to eliminate problems they were having with other
types. That was before anyone made a rain cap.
I have three of them on my 32 year old truck. half the time some of the
antennas are not on, they all still work.
I have one rain cap. It goes on my motorcycle, just for looks.
WA7IXK
Dale