Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue May 9 05:17:42 EDT 2006

Hi Frank.

Where abouts in the UK are you visiting?

The frequency is correct, our 2m band is only 144 to 146MHz.  SSB and
small signal stuff in the lower 400k to 500k, then "all modes" to
145MHz, then FM only up to 145.800.

Chose a path similar to what those round you are using.  Don't expect
many digi's to ident themselves in a way you can tell what they are,
type and capability wise that is.

RELAY,TRACE7-7 (!!) is still used here, but WIDE1-1,WIDE4-3 also works
fairly well in most places now. you'll need at least 5W RF out to a 1/4
wave, any better, go for it.  IGates are a bit thin on the ground, and
may not be setup too well.  Don't fit the gear to a hire car in the hire
car park, or you'll attract too much attention from the staff.  Do that
out of sight a few miles down the road!  And hide/remove the radio if
you leave the car even for a few minutes.  They can and do disappear all
too frequently, especially in the major conurbations, even if the car is
locked, not so bad out "in the sticks".  The standard nasty ciggy
lighter power connectors will fit.

You can also easily find yourself in an APRS desert, after only a few
miles movement from somewhere where there was near saturation of the
channel.

You will sometimes find the APRS channel in built up areas, swamped with
European or US posits, as someone puts up a temporary Igate, and blanket
gates everything from the 'net to RF.  Sad, but it does happen.

Voice repeaters:  (Much more useful here for a visitor, but APRS
messaging back home should work OK) Inputs 145.000 to 145.200, 12.5k
channels, 2.5k deviation (and many will block much over 3kHz deviation!)
Outputs on 145.600 to 145.800  (-600k TX shift in your radio) In
practice, the top channel is not used.

All the original 25k channel boxes should accept a 1750 toneburst to
wake them up, carrier access thereafter, many will also now take a CCTSS
tone, use one method or the other, not both.  All the new 12.5k "infill"
boxes will only take CCTSS subaudiable tone to access.  The tone needed
varies depending on where in the country you are.  Check the RSGB's web
site, and follow links from there to the repeater working group, if you
can find it....

You may find if you don't have "Narrow" deviation set, that a 1750 tone
will not open a repeater, that you can hear others using that way.  Many
set's on 5k deviation, the tone burst will over deviate wrt the 2.5k
spec.

Sad to say, but also take care who you talk to, and what you tell them.
(especially where you are staying, keep the exact details close to your
chest)  There are some less than savoury types here, and anti US feeling
is always rumbling on not far from the surface.  In the mornings and
evenings (the "Rush" hour's) there are often some quite "close knit"
net's going on, many will accept a visitor, but take a little time to
listen to what the topics of conversation are before calling in.  Humour
usually wins the day, the sicker the better!  (But not obscene of
course.)

The use of the phrase "Break" to get air time here, does not have the
same standing as in the US, so don't expect instant access if you use
that.  Sadly, in some areas, people will (actively) keep you out if you
try that, not very social at all, but those people are few and far
between, just that if you find some, it's easier to QSY and find another
repeater...

Also, make sure you have a bill of sale, or other proof that what radio
gear you bring over is your own personal property, so that you will take
it out of the country when you leave, and bring your licence (not a
copy) with you.  In case you get stopped by Customs.  Those people
outrank just about any other agency here, if they want it, you give, you
have no choice in the matter!.  Unless you know you will be OK, or have
other reasons to declare goods etc, just go for the Green channel at the
airport.  If you get stopped, don't' tell them anything they don't ask
for!

Airport security here is "Tight" these days.  Even if you did on the way
here, do not carry "sharps" in hand luggage on the way back.  Some
airlines do not allow hand-held radios to be hand carried either, but
there is not much consistency with the rules or implementation of them.

Use M/KG6JVE when you're here, on voice.  Append /M if mobile of course.
Use KG6JVE for APRS as usual, but please put the full M/KG6JVE in the
comment text of the posit.  If you venture into Wales, that should then
be MW/KG6JVE.  Scotland, use MM/KG6JVE.

Lastly, make sure your credit card is empty before you get here, even
diesel hire cars will run that up with the fuel costs at the pumps...
Oh yes, drive on the left of the road!  Avoid getting into any "tangles"
with "White Van Man".  They just don't care!

Try not to be seen by the police, using a fist mike while you are
driving.

Using a fist mike is not as such illegal if it's a Ham set, but if your
driving suffers as a result, they may pull you over and at the very
least, "Talk" to you about it....

Using a hand held phone is illegal here if the engine is running, but
it's not enforced very well, if at all.  We're supposed to pull over and
switch off before using a hand held phone, hands free is OK, so long as
your driving doesn't suffer.  Oh yes, if you bring a phone, make sure
it's compatible with GSM900, GSM1800 or "3G".  The standard single band
US phones just wont work.  You could just bring your SIM card, and
hire/borrow an "unlocked" handset while you are here.  Check with your
phone airtime provider, what the roaming rates are, and if any special
deals are available etc...

Our electric supply is 230V 50Hz, and you will need an adapter.  Buy one
at the airport on arrival if you need.  They will not (normally) change
the voltage, so make sure any battery chargers (for radio, phone, laptop
etc) will work on 230V.  There are WiFi access points about, hotels,
service stations etc, but not for free!  Any standard WiFi capable PC
should work here if you have a point to connect to.  You may also be
able to setup an account in advance with one of the providers (check
through your cellphone airtime provider, just one idea) to use the AP's
at many McDonalds up and down the country!  (BT OpenZone, Eurospot,
T-Mobile etc)

You probably know much of that, but just in case you didn't, you now
have some info...

Above all, enjoy your visit, and take care with the beer!

Cheers...

Dave G0WBX.