[aprssig] BMW GPS

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 15:05:56 EDT 2006

I have an E46 (05 325cic) and I've looked into this (since it has the BMW
Assist in it, and, for that matter, there's a nav system option).

I'm pretty sure the GPS data isn't available conveniently.  That's not to
say that you can't find the wire carrying the serial data (in whatever
format it happens to be in, probably not NMEA sentences) and cobble up some
sort of PIC to convert it to something for your D700.

The E46es use BMWs iBus to send data around, and some of the 5s do this
too, although some newer ones use CAN bus.  The question is whether GPS
data appears on the iBus, in which case there's a variety of iBus interface
widgets that "might" serve.
http://www.openbmw.org/bus/ might have some information. the HacktheIbus
yahoo group also has a fair amount of information.

For all the hassle, and the cost of adapters, etc., you are probably better
off just forking out the $50 for another GPS receiver (hey, my car has at
least 4 GPS receivers now: BMW assist, the Magellan mapping thing, the one
in my cell phone, and the one hooked up to the APRS)

Jim, W6RMK