[aprssig] Portable 2 & 440 Plus

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Sat May 6 22:35:24 EDT 2006

On 5/6/06, Ron <rgilson at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Hi gang.  I really like my D7(base), love my D700 and am now looking for
> another dual band hand held.  Thought about another D7 but the THF6A caught
> my eye.  I really don't need APRS for this one.  Any comments about features
> vs. limits.  2 & 440 tx @ about 5 watts would be nice and RX thru the
> commercial spectrum.  Anything else would be frosting on the cake.  Cake is
> good.  Suggestions would be great.

I give a solid thumbs up for the TH-F6A.  It has quite a bit of
"frosting on the cake" with its wide band receiver.  It is small, yet
it has a solid feel in your hand.

If you haven't checked it out already, you can read reviews of the unit here:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1739

If size matters (haha), you should also consider the Yaesu VX-2.  It
is TINY!  It also has a wide band receiver.  The downside is that the
power output is only 1.5 watts off of the battery, but in many
situations 1.5 watts is enough anyway.  Because of the size, this is
an HT you will actually take with you everywhere and use.  The price
for the VX-2 is only $139 which is a steal in my opinion.  Reviews are
here:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3318

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U