[aprssig] APRS for Field Day using TEMPn-N

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat May 6 10:34:49 EDT 2006

Actually, there are several things I have to test and re-learn.
But wife and kids have both cars today...
1) When we use serial port to set UITRACE TEMP (for TEMPn-N
    support), does that stay with just the PM we are in, or
    does it apply independent of PM?
2) Does the front panel APRS menu setting of DIGI ON/OFF
affect the UITRACE parameter or only the APRS UIDIGI list?

3) Does the UITRACE parameter which you set in PACKET
mode still work when you return to APRS mode?

Is there anything else I am missing or overlooking?

ALSO, I need to add these additinal details to the APRS FD
web page:
1) Be sure to put your FD report in your positin beacon!
2) What constitutes a successful 2 way contact on APRS
is receiveing another stations FD report and receiving
an ACK that he received yours.  The ACK does not have
to be a real "ack" (less reliable) but can be a human
message response (much more reliable because it has
retries).
3) If you take the 100 bonus points, then "contact points
do NOT count for FD".  But they sure do count for APRS
bragging rights.  So APRS FD has two scores:
a) Total number of 145.01 stations heard
b) Successful 2 ways.
c) Multiplier of 2 if you have both 145.01 and 144.39
    stations on display.  (144.39 is only for APRS demo
    and not for FD bonus demo)

The MOST efficient way to QSL other FD stations is
send a BULLETIN:  "QSL W3XYZ, W4XYZ, W1XYZ, etc.
Each time you see a new station, then add him to
the BULLETIN and cancel the previous.  This way,
you are redundantly transmitting QSL's for up to 8
stations at a time, but never have more than one
MSG on the air at a time (and it is not demanding
all that ACK QRM).

APRSdos facilitates this by letting you COPY a previous
message and then only type the new call.  Probably
Windows systems can do this trivially too with cut-n
paste.

The LAST thing we want to see is individual 1-for-1 two-way
messages for every station and all of their QRM generating
ACKS if this reaally gets to be a congested net.  Doing it
1-for-1 causes an exponential growth in QRM.  Doing it
in single BULLETINS with up to 8 calls at a time in them
is orders of magnitude less QRM.  And gives multiple
retries at no expense.

Whatever you do, be sure to include your PHG data in your
positio beacon and use software that can SEE the PHG
communicatiosn ranges of all other stations.  Because you
will need this visualization to set up your paths through
the ad-hoc network!

In fact, this kind of operation will really show users what
it is like to understand APRS and to make it work in the
field.  It is good training for all!  Lets reallly make an
effort this year!    de Wb4APR

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 05/06/06 10:03 AM >>>
We could really make this FD a true APRS special event!

Remember, a lot of the need for LOTS and LOTS of digi's
is because APRS range is QRM limited, not RF limited in
many areas.  A few well placed TEMPn-N mobiles parked
on hills or mountains could add hundred miles of coverage.

Back in the early days, it was 3 hops from Virginia to
NY, now there are over 70 digis along the way and
it is nearly impossible.  Also FD sites make an effort
at putting up a good antenna, not operating on a whip
on the ground.  So we really can make an ad-hoc network
wor very well.

There are many many FD sites in my area, and I am
always torn as to which one to support with APRS.
Maybe this time I should go find a group in the
mountains.  Or take the kids camping and lone it
just to find the best VHF spot (so my TEMPn-N digi
helps the most other statiosn)

On the other hand, maybe all I have to do is find
those clubs that do go 'high' and remind them to
park a D700 as a TEMPn-N digi.  Yes, that will do
it.  Now, how to get to and find those groups...
We must chat this up, make evreyone aware!

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 05/03/06 11:13 AM >>>
APRS FD:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fd2006.html

Again, this year, I have prepared an APRS FD web
page that recommends all FD stations to do two things:

1) Have a conventional portable station on 144.39
to show them what APRS is all about. (no points, but
it works!)

2) Set up a TEMPn-N system for FD APRS operations
for the 100 bonus points and operate on 145.01 if
available in your area.  And, of course, do these things:

a) Set all D700's to support TEMPn-N (always)
b) Set your home station to 145.01 (if avail) and support
    TEMPn-N
c) Get all old timer packet operators to also place their
home stations on 145.01 (if avial) and set their
MYALIAS to TEMP1-1 and BEACON VIA TEMP1-1,TEMP7-7

or TEMP1-1,TEMP1-1,TEMP1-1

Remember, there is no harm in leaving all D700 mobiles
all the time configured to support TEMPn-N.  Normally
they will do nothing on 144.39.  But if ever needed for
any purpose at any time, then someone can send a
packet via TEMPn-N and get through a well placed D700
mobile.

To set your D700 mobile to support TEMPn-N always,
use a PC on the serial port to set
UITRACE TEMP
UICHECK 10
DIGI ON

Now then also make sure that in the APRS MENU that
you do *NOT* have any items listed at all, because
they should not be used routinely.  And since you want
to leave DIGI ON all the time to support TEMPn-N, you
do not want to have anything here in UIDIGI.

de WB4APR, Bob