[aprssig] MacAPRS 3.7.7 Carbon_Release on Core Duo

Dennis Hudson n2lbt at spamcop.net
Thu May 4 12:17:13 EDT 2006

Being lucky to have one of the new Intel based Core Duo MacBookPro
laptops I can happily report that MacAPRS 3.7.7 Carbon_Release works
in Rosetta (PowerPC code translation). The preference file gets
corrupted the first time you run it, but it appears to accept the old
information when re-entered into the Stations Settings window.

It loafs along at 6-10% CPU usage and is at 100mb of real memory and
500mb virtual memory connected to the full APRS-IS feed for about 2
hours with about 12K stations. Windows open and close quickly,
station list sorts are snappy.

This leads to the only bad side of this report. If you upgrade to the
new processor Macs you can no longer use Classic(OS 9) programs so
we're stuck with a 1.5 year old product. The enhancements and
upgrades to MacAPRS 3.8.2 (Classic) are not available anymore.

http://www.n2lbt.com/MacAPRS_no_more.png

I'm sure asking for a universal binary is out of the question, but a
current release for MacAPRS in the Carbon framework would be great.

--
Dennis Hudson, N2LBT
Sysop APRSALY