[aprssig] APRS data dump for a month or two

apratt at bestbits.org apratt at bestbits.org
Thu May 4 13:33:32 EDT 2006

I'd like to do some data analysis on APRS position reports. What is a
good way to get a data dump for the last month or two? Obviously I
don't just want to go to findu and perform queries; that's not what
findu is set up for. And it would take me a month or two of 24-by-7
logging to collect the data from a live feed. I've read a little about
feeds with "history dump" capability but I don't think that goes back
very far.

I have high-speed internet and I can grab the data in chunks if it
would help with bandwidth or load. The raw packet data is fine, and
decoded position reports would be OK too. I don't need timestamps, and
I'll be filtering the data substantially after I get it - or I could
work with a data provider to filter on the supply side. For example, I
can give a lat/long bounding box or "within X miles of location Y"
for my area of interest if it would help.

Any ideas? Thanks.

-- Allan Pratt, apratt at bestbits.org