[aprssig] APRS for Field Day using TEMPn-N

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed May 3 11:54:47 EDT 2006

> 2) Set up a TEMPn-N system for FD APRS operations

This is a great opportunity to nail down this technology.

  > a) Set all D700's to support TEMPn-N (always)

Note that this is, as noted below, configured by the serial port and not
from the front panel APRS menu.

> b) Set your home station to 145.01 (if avail) and support
>     TEMPn-N
> c) Get all old timer packet operators to also place their
> home stations on 145.01 (if avial) and set their
> MYALIAS to TEMP1-1 and BEACON VIA TEMP1-1,TEMP7-7

How about:  BEACON VIA TEMP1-1,TEMP1-1,TEMP1-1  ??

The TEMP7-7 would only be picked up by mobiles with the permanent TEMP
configuration.   TEMP1-1 would be picked up by all stations and since
it's generally using callsign substitution, there will be minimal, if
any packet pingponging.  Two, three or maybe even more hops would depend
on circumstances.

> Remember, there is no harm in leaving all D700 mobiles
> all the time configured to support TEMPn-N.  Normally
> they will do nothing on 144.39.  But if ever needed for
> any purpose at any time, then someone can send a
> packet via TEMPn-N and get through a well placed D700
> mobile.

This is a very good thing...

Folks using KPC3 and other real TNC's in their mobiles can also
configure them as TEMPn-N systems.

> To set your D700 mobile to support TEMPn-N always,
> use a PC on the serial port to set
> UITRACE TEMP
> UICHECK 10
> DIGI ON

HID OFF  ??

This is also a good time to add "Tn-N" to the status message.

> Now then also make sure that in the APRS MENU that
> you do *NOT* have any items listed at all, because
> they should not be used routinely.  And since you want
> to leave DIGI ON all the time to support TEMPn-N, you
> do not want to have anything here in UIDIGI.

On the other hand, if you don't have access or get time to configure the
D700 mobile on the serial port, it would be possible to add TEMP1-1 to
the UIDIGI setting.   I just learned that UIDIGI takes 4 aliases so
something could be setup like:  WIDE1-1,TEMP1-1,UVC,SGATE could be used.

(Did you catch that Herb?)

> de WB4APR, Bob

73,
Bill - WA7NWP