[aprssig] APRSCE Maps?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 3 03:46:19 EDT 2006

jason at ke4nyv.com wrote:
> After lost of trial and error and spending money on
> several CF serial cards, I finally have APRSCE talking
> on a PocketPC running Windows Mobile 5.  Now that it
> works, I'm looking for some maps.  I noticed that the
> TAPR map directory is debunk, any other suggestions of
> sources or even directions to make them myself?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason KE4NYV
> www.ke4nyv.com

There are still a lot of maps archived at the TAPR website that will
work with APRS/CE.   Point a browser (or preferably an FTP client)   at
this URL:
     ftp://ftp.tapr.org/aprssig/maps/

and browse the directory system.  Many Win and MacAPRS "classic" maps
(i.e. not Tiger or Precision Mapping)  and DOSaprs maps will work with
APRS/ce .

Maps in the "PCMaps" and "WinMacMaps" branches of this directory system
should be usable with APRSce.  (I've used some of them myself with
APRSce on an HP Jornada 520.)

Maps in the "MacMaps" branch of this directory system are archived with
Stuffit (a Mac utility similar to, but not the same as, Winzip) in files
with the extension ".SIT".  These file probably won't be openable in
Windows or DOS.

Note that some of these archive files are state-level map collections
while others are regional around particular cities or metro areas.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide