[OZAPRS] [aprssig] Can I run a GPS18 from the +5v on the USBcable?

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue May 2 09:29:10 EDT 2006

Sorry..

Only 100mA without software negotiation for a High Power device.  There
should be current limiting devices on the PC mother board, but take care
anyway, and do not have more than 10uF of "visible" decoupling on the 5V
line, or the plug in surge could upset other attached devices, or the
host PC, at best, a reboot, at worst a lockup!....

After propper "Negotiation and enumeration", then up to 5 "Units" of
current can be drawn (500mA)  But, you must negotiate for that with the
host, and it's not a trivial task either...

There is a lot on this, on the USB developer website, easy to find with
google, big brother or otherwise..

External keyboard or mouse sockets are another source of power if
needed, but I'd be careful taking too much out of them too...

Dave G0WBX.