[aprssig] extra license question

Jim Duncan jdbandman at earthlink.net
Mon May 1 23:29:27 EDT 2006

"A" is incorrect because APRS won't "AUTOMATICALLY" transmit medical
data. The qualifier work is "automatically". In order for APRS to do it
you'd have to send a message (of course, Bob et al could add features
that would read medical data and generate messages or add the data to
the posit....

"B" is also incorrect for the same reason!

"C" is the correct answer.

"D" is incorrect (for obvious reasons)

Jim Duncan, KU0G
(still lurking about the list!)

Wes Johnston wrote:

> I'm practicing for my extra and came upon this question.
>
> E2D10  How can an APRS station be used to help support a public service communications activity, such as a walk-a-thon?
>
> A An APRS station with an emergency medical technician can automatically transmit medical data to the nearest hospital
> B APRS stations with General Personnel Scanners can automatically relay the participant numbers and time as they pass the check points
> C An APRS station with a GPS unit can automatically transmit information to show the station's position along the course route
> D  All of these choices are correct
>
> I selected D, all of the above, and it's wrong... but APRS _can_ be used for sending messages to a hospital, it can be used to link RF ID badge readers, and obviously transmit gps positions.  The correct answer according to the FCC is C.
>
> We're talking about item B at a motocross race held here in SC in January.  The bikes have to go thru a gate to have the time written on their placard and we're considering reading an RFID badge for automatic scoring.
>
> Geez, guess I'm _too_ into aprs.
>
> Wes

73 de Jim, KU0G