[aprssig] Favorite Tracker - Bicycle

J T w0jrt at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 15:21:01 EDT 2006

I recently put an OpenTracker, GPS18LVC, Radio Shack HTX-202 (OK, no longer in production) and a 2.2 Ah 12V SLA battery into a Serpac R-series enclosure (with lock) and so far it's worked well mounted to a seatpost rack.  I mounted the GPS inside the Serpac case since I had room and the case is transparent at L-band.  To help save power the OpenTracker turns on a transistor which applies power to the radio only when needed.

You might be able to find an HTX-202 used on ebay in the $50-$70 range and it'll give you 5W (at 12V) vs. the 340 mW of the DJ-S11T, plus the HTX-202 has a BNC connector to make it easier to install a more efficient antenna.

-Jerome, W0JRT

Bill York <iago at pobox.com> wrote: and not to get too far OT on this, but what about HT rigs for
tracking? i'm looking to set up a rig on my mountain bike and have
been looking at the tinytrack3plus/deluo combo. can i hook up a
cheapie alinco dj-s11t to that?