[aprssig] KISS mode definition request

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 1 14:23:27 EDT 2006

CTDay at lbl.gov wrote:

> Could someone post a definition of KISS mode to the APRS Wiki, please?
> I've seen lots of references to it but no definition anywhere. I don't
> have any idea what is being talked about. Thanks.

A conventional TNC is a combination of a radio-oriented modem and a
command interpreter in firmware.  When packet radio was born in the late
'70s/early '80s, most users were using dumb ASCII terminals (not
computers).   The interpreter would process commands hand-typed from a
keyboard to set the call sign, digipeater path, set monitor modes,
beacon intervals, beacon message contents etc.

The TNC would have two modes.  One was ("COMMAND") where what you typed
was "swallowed" by the TNC hardware as a command.  The other was
"CONVERSATIONAL" where what you typed was sent over the air instead.
To get from the COMMAND mode to the CONVERSATIONAL mode you typed the
command "CONV <ret>.  To get back from conversational mode back to
command, you would typically type CNTRL-C.  The exact syntax of this set
of commands varies from one manufacturer to another.

Today, virtually all TNCs are used connected to a computer running
specialized software instead of a dumb terminal.   The variety of
different command formats is a constant headache to software writers
that have to accommodate numerous different ways of saying the same
things to different pieces of hardware.     Not to mention having to
constantly toggle the TNC between the COMMAND mode and the CONV mode.

The KISS (literally an acronym for "Keep It Simple Stupid") mode
bypasses the human-oriented command interpreter inside the TNC, and uses
the TNC strictly as a PAD (packet assembler/disassembler) and modem.
Once commanded into the KISS mode, the assumption is that ANYTHING sent
into the TNC is to be transmitted. Period.    The process of
interpreting commands, or acting on incoming data from the RF side,  is
handled entirely inside a program running on the PC.     Theoretically
the KISS interface behaves identically on ALL hardware with the KISS
capability. (Some very old TNCs don't support KISS.)

The KISS mode can also bypass any digipeater functions that may be in
the TNC hardware/firmware, and allow a much more sophisticated
digipeater function to be implemented purely in software on the PC.
This software-based digipeater will function in the same manner on any
TNC with KISS capability.  This is unlike TNC-firmware-based digis where
capabilities can vary wildly from one mfr to another, or from one
firmware revision to another.

KISS mode also makes possible much simpler and cheaper KISS-only TNCs
since they don't need the extensive firmware ROMs and processor
"horsepower" to interpret human-typed commands.    However this kind of
simplified modem-only TNC will ONLY work with a KISS-aware program or
device.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide