[aprssig] Alinco DR-135TP

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 1 13:09:09 EDT 2006

ron.stordahl at digikey.com wrote:
> Isn't the D700 also a problem in KISS mode?  I know of 2 users who
> tried UIView32 with the D700 in kiss mode, and it worked for a while,
> but always eventually locked up.
>
> Ron

       YES   The D700 KISS mode is nearly useless, hopelessly crippled
by a too-small buffer RAM.

> hasan schiers wrote:
>> Not quite, Stephen. The internal TNC kiss mode is a no-go. I have a
>> 135TP and it is an ok radio, but for use with ui-view32 or agwpe
>> where kiss mode is esssential (for digi-peating), the tnc is an
>> abysmal failure. I use a Tiny2 TNC external to the 135, so the
>> internal tnc is practically useless. Otherwise it seems to be just
>> fine for an aprs 2m radio.
>>
>> .

I didn't say anything about using the TASCO chip in KISS mode or as a
digipeater.  Only that the Kenwoods are far more intelligent in
stand-alone mode.

By "The Alinco is the functional equivalent of any old radio with an
external TNC such as a KPC3+ attached" I was only trying to emphasize
that the Alinco has no APRS-specific smarts.     I hadn't even thought
about how useless it's TNC KISS mode was.

Further, UIview (as a client, not a digipeater) works fine with the
TASCO TNC in command mode.

I have over a quarter-million miles on my mobile D700 / laptop / UIview
combo, with no problems except the D700 TNC getting balled up, and
having to be reset, when the supply voltage drops below 9 volts or so.
[ I keep leaving stuff on and running down my auxiliary battery to  less
-than-ideal voltages. ]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide