[aprssig] ARRL Web Site Propagating Out-Of-Data APRS Into

Ron McCoy rmccoylist at blueantservices.com
Fri Mar 31 17:52:50 EST 2006

It's great to see several people stepping up with offers of servers and
Wikis to get this rolling but I think the concern about getting people to
actually contribute is valid. This is going to be especially true if the
effort is diluted by having a number of sites attracting content.

My opinion (for what very little it is worth ;) is that using Wikipedia
would be the best way to go. First, it's likely to be around for the
foreseeable future. Second, it is easy to spawn new articles that are
logically linked as the content branches out and grows. It would be great to
see other areas of HAM activity and experimentation documented as well.
Third, it is more likely to be found by people who hear about APRS and start
looking around to find out what it is all about. Many people, me included,
use Wikipedia as our first stop when interested in a new topic.

Wikis were invented as a way to keep documentation complete and current. If
everyone answered questions by creating content in the Wiki and then
pointing to it instead of in an eMail to the questioner, we would soon just
be able to point to the Wiki instead of retyping the answer.

Ron
KI4KKD