[aprssig] ARRL Web Site Propagating Out-Of-Data APRS Into

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu Mar 30 12:56:51 EST 2006

Didn't someone offer a domain (was it aprs.net?) as a single repository for
official APRS information?  I'd really like to see that developed.  No
offense to Bob, but the USNA site is hard to sort through, looks like a
personal website because of the ~ style URL, and I think some people still
have trouble getting there - at least to the .mil site that shows up first
in Google.

There really needs to be a single, well-maintained, easy-to-digest source
for up-to-date APRS info.  Try this sometime: Imagine you know nothing about
APRS, then go to Google and see how long it takes you to actually figure out
what it's all about today.  The top two links get you DOS screen shots and
ugly Java maps - nothing to even hint at what's available in modern clients,
or online through OpenAPRS.  In the top three links, the best description
you get is "APRS is a shareware program
<http://www.cave.org/aprs/aprswhat.html>  that takes advantage of the
availibility of inexpensive GPS receivers to display the locations of moving
stations on your PC. By connecting your PC computer to any radio network via
an innexpensive ($130) radio data modem, then all stations can see the mo
vements of all other stations..." which is misleading and incomplete.

Yeah, I know it means a lot of work to build and maintain.  I don't have
time to do it myself - I have a hard enough time keeping my own information
up to date.  But I've made money from APRS, and I don't mind contributing
money back to the cause.  I'm willing to chip in to pay for professional web
design and copy editing if that's what it takes.  In fact, I've got my
sister, N6TME, doing some research on that now (at very reasonable family
rates =).  She's a professional tech writer, and is coming into this with no
real prior knowledge of APRS, which gives her a perspective similar to most
new or prospective APRS users.

I'm also willing to provide hosting if necessary.  If anyone's interested in
taking on the visual design, or knows someone who's good at that, let me
know.

Scott
N1VG

  _____