[aprssig] Why is coax 50 ohm ?

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 19:16:02 EST 2006

  I don't remember if this is urban legend or not, but I remember something like this.

  The geometry of 75 ohms is the lowest loss as Wyatt states.  When they filled that geometry with (poly) dielectric, 50 ohms resulted.

  As to 93 ohms, if you can make anything you want, why not 93...   Don't know why 93.  Perhaps, as Wyatt also suggests,  there's some phase delay or other esoteric reason.

  73, Steve, K9DCI

   Google may know...

Message: 5