[aprssig] An Anniversary Cheer for Stephen Smith

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Tue Mar 28 23:31:51 EST 2006

> But, if in an N=3 region we instead configure the high digi's as has
> been recommended for an N=2 region then:
>
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 will allow 3 hops which is the maximum we wish to
> allow and
> WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 will allow just 2
> WIDE3-3 will allow just 1

Yes, that's correct.  Most high digis are heard directly by an IGate, so all
such packets would be seen on the internet (main objective of many casual
users).

> So it appears that if the goal is to impose a 3 hop limit, then
> configuring the high digi's as has been recommended for an N=2 region
> does this better than N=3.

Yes.  With only 4 "trapping" slots available in the Kantronics TNC, make
those high "W2,SSn" digis with
UIDigi ON WIDE5-5,WIDE4-4,WIDE3-3,WIDE3-2
With the UIDIGI firmware TNCs more "trapping" slots are available for use in
the high "W2,SSn" "S overlay" digis.

> The fundamental problem is that the digi which we are using are out of
> date...I guess we will have to live with what we have..for now.

Right again.  That old 1200baud 2-meter AFSK packet gear just keeps ticking
along somehow.  hi  I'm using it for Telpac (email) sometimes now too.
Works good!
73, Cap KE6AFE