[aprssig] Why is coax 50 ohm ?

Sam Guccione gucci1 at mchsi.com
Tue Mar 28 20:28:05 EST 2006

If you look at the equation for formula for the impedance of a coaxial
transmission line, you will find that an impedance of 77 ohms results in the
lowest value of attenuation. Also, if you look at the breakdown voltage
between the inner and outer conductors of a coaxial transmission line you
will find that it is the highest when the coax line is 60 ohms impedance.
Finally, if you look at the power carrying capacity you will find that the
highest capacity occurs when the line impedance is 30 ohms. So a compromise
was reached. The US Navy, as the story goes, during WWII selected 50 ohms as
the compromise impedance between these three values based upon commercially
available copper water pipe sizes which were used to construct coax during
those times.

Dr. Sam Guccione, K3BY