[aprssig] Some notes & IGATE questions for the IGATE gurus

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 27 12:05:37 EST 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Jeff Thomas - KD4EVB wrote:

> Now for an IGATE question.  Can you have too many
> IGATEs in an area?

Igating RF->INET?  No.  The internet servers will take care of dupes
somewhat, and the extra load you'll put on them will be small.
There are really no issues with this.  You'll "enhance the user
experience" for all those on RF that are checking their tracks on
findu or aprsworld.

Igating INET->RF?  Yes.  This can be a major problem.  You'll see it
if there are multiple igates serving an area and someone is doing
messaging to/from outside the area.  You'll get multiple igates
transmitting the same message on RF, and you'll see multiple ack's
as well.  Best to limit to one or two igates sending to RF for any
particular area.