[aprssig] Smart Tracker?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 24 16:40:12 EST 2006

>This is the first section of my cross-country journey
>from Merrifield, VA to Austin, TX....At 55-65 mph,
>the Pocket Tracker "Smart Beacon" setup has been
>transmitting about twice a minute.

I donno, for a 2 hop tracker, beaconing every 30
seconds is consuming at least 20% of channel capacity
for that one mobile.  (360 digipeated packets in 30
minutes).  And at that speed and on the interstate
everyone can pretty much  see where he is headed.

Lets see what a reasonable Proportional Pathing mobile
with these default settings would get.

 1 min Path*:  DIRECT
 2 min Path:   WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
 4 min Path:   none
 8 min Path:   WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

He would get 1 minute packets for close by and near-in
Voice Alert Radar purposes, Typical internet updates
every 2 minutes and at least every 8 minutes if he goes
through a 3 hop area.  Total packt count to surrounding area
is the same 6 every 2 minutes, plus an additional
8 every 8 minutes for a total of only 122 digipeated
packets or about 1/3rd the load...

Just a thought.
Bob