[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types, alternatives

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 12:20:48 EST 2006

How would you select it at this current time?

Surely it would be better to make the network intelligent enough to
route posits as needed, have digi's "know" (by passing administrative
data between each other from time to time, bit like the packet network
used to) how to get to an Igate for example, so the user doesn't need to
fiddle with the thing every 50 miles or so, plus a digi can address it
in a way so it goes direct, and not get digi'd in other directions, so
reducing QRM..

APRS as it is now, is a wonderful tool, and has proven itself many times
in many ways.  Now is the time perhaps, to plan create and build APRS2
(or whatever you want to call it IPRS perhaps "Inteligent Packet
Reporting System" ?) based on other systems and technologies, so as to
do as much of the posit routing adaptively and automatically as
possible.  Perhaps accommodating different classes of user in a way that
works best for the purpose, also accommodating digi's that come and go
throughout the day/night.  Sort of auto configure itself, on the fly.

A "path" of say ssLOCAL would not go out of the state "ss", unless the
"system" wanted it to, but still allow the nearby digi's to throttle the
trackers data rate as needed.  put IGATE in the path, and it would find
an Igate by whatever means it could.

There must be other possibilities for emergency use too, so that
emergency data gets through as a priority, also allowing other users,
even broadcasting other emergency data as needed to all users?

For "Spousal" tracking (I like that!)  Perhaps even putting a call in
the route such as "$$K6XYZ" (sorry if that is a real call, and the $$ is
just an example) and so long as K6XYZ was known to the system (via Findu
or the equivalent) anywhere on the planet!  The "System" would know how
to route that posit to it's destination, by whatever path was available,
on a posit by posit basis.

Perhaps including the satellite system?  If a digi is not in direct, or
otherwise known range of an Igate, then if a capable satellite is in
range, go that route.  Again, satellite prediction is not exactly a
black art any more.   That would perhaps accommodate the "Desert
Drifters" and long distance truckers in the APRS community.

Have future trackers (and handies?) somewhat remote controllable, as to
RF output level (High, Medium, Low) and also able to recognise if their
own packet got digi'd locally, so as to then throttle back the rate.
Perhaps they can include what RF power level they are using in the
Posit, and if there is adjustment available, up or down, then the
"System" would not waste time and air space sending control packets to a
device already commanded to one extreme or the other.

Alowing automatic and adaptive use of a digi capable mobile when needed
as well perhaps, so long as the user had enabled it, and where permitted
by local legislation..

If the full power of DSP was applied to the encoding/detection/decoding
etc at the digi sites you could even accommodate 1200 and 9600bd traffic
on the same channel.  Or other intermediate data rates as needed, even
multiple RF channels in a busy area?...

As amateurs, we can do anything we want (subject to not p'ing off the
authorities) so how about actually advancing things for a change, rather
than just patching it up and polishing it a bit.

I'd have thought it posible to update the infrastructure surrounding
existing users, making things more and more capable in small steps.
Then the users would eventualy update their terminal equipment to take
full advantage of the "new System" and all it can offer.  Not a trivial
task, that I acknowledge, but bit by bit (or should that be packet by
packet?) over time..........

As before, APRS is a wonderful tool, so let's develop it even more,
rather than just tweak it to suit from time to time...  As has been seen
before, patches wear thin and fall off, and eventually there is nothing
left to polish.

Just an idea......  I'll get my coat on the way out!

Dave G0WBX.