[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types,alternatives

Wes johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Fri Mar 24 10:22:38 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Ronan" <jronan at tssg.org>
> Smart-beaconing is useful, though misconfigured, it can be a resource
> hog.  This tends to occur on twisty mountain roads. More analysis
> probably needs to be done on the 'minimum interval' feature of the
> Opentracker.

I had a problem with smartbeaconing pegging me twice on a long slow curve on
a main highway.  The solution was not the minimum interval, but the "fast
speed" setting.  The only place you want smart beaconing corner pegger to
mark a corner is when you turn off the expressway, or main street onto a
side street.  The fastest I would _ever_ make a 90 degree turn off a road
would be at 20mph.  So set your fast speed setting to just over that, say at
30mph (50km).  That way if you are travelling down a winding mountain road,
you are surely going to go faster than 50km/h, and the normal 1 position /
mile function will report your positions.  If you slow to make a turn off
the road the corner pegger will get your new position out.

I think most people think of the fast speed setting as expressway speeds (ie
60mph).... it should be treated as "any speed just faster than I'd want to
turn off the road at".... in my case, in the 20 to 30mph range.

Wes