[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types, alternatives

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Fri Mar 24 10:20:14 EST 2006

See my comments below.

On Fri, March 24, 2006 9:57 am, Robert Bruninga said:
>> AND, ideally, I would like to have my location
>>sent at a faster rate if I don't hit a digi with a
>>wait at least x seconds (like 30-60) setting.
>
> This has to be done carefully.  Park next to a
> 7/11 with a strgon birdie from its computer and
> your tracker never hears its own digipeats.  It
> ups its rate to HIGH andyet you are parked.
>
> All it takes is one car per day to get into this
> situation and we end up with more QRM instead
> of less.  I have always thought that APRS
> transmitters should be aware of whether they
> are being digipeated or not, but PLEASE make
> sure any system that goes to higer rates has
> all kinds of safeguards!

I agree - adding safeguards would be a wise thing to do.

> Having automatic HIGH rates when not-heard
> is a guaranteed nuclear melt down scenario.
> EXAMPLE:
>
> SOmething blocks the main digi for a few minutes.
> All the smart mobiles then up their rate.  Still
> no success, so they up it higher.  WHen the
> digi does start working again, all it hears is
> 100% collisions on the input.

I would suggest a single high rate, not one that gets higher and higher. and
even the higher rate should be a reasonable beacon rate. If the reasonable
rate in your area is 2 minutes, then set this rate to 2 minutes; for my area,
1 minute is reasonable and would be what I would use. I agree that setting
this limit too low would be a bad thing, but setting it to a reasonable number
(i.e., your current fixed rate) and the calculation would in general reduce
the number of packets.