[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types, alternatives

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Thu Mar 23 22:11:53 EST 2006

What I would like to see in the way of "Smart" beaconing...

I would like to be able to have the tracker transmit when my actual position
is X number of miles (or whatever measurement) off of where I would be with
dead-reconing. Along with this, I would also have it transmit once every X
minutes (maybe 15 or more). AND, ideally, I would like to have my location
sent at a faster rate if I don't hit a digi (assume that dead-reconing is only
from the last packet that was digi'd) with a wait at least x seconds (like
30-60) setting.

This way, if I maintain a similar speed/direction, then the beacon rate would
be reduced, but my position could easily be calculated. This would help a
great deal around where I live - we have a number of roads that curve alot,
but generally follow basically a straight line. The current batch of smart
beaconing can go crazy on some of these roads.

Just another idea to toss in the mix.

Personally, I do not think the smart pathing is a good idea...not in the areas
that I travel anyway. I think this would encourage people to use longer paths
(maybe only once every 8 minutes, but if 3 hops is too many, then it's too
many). I also agree that a direct only beacon would be of little value (again,
for the areas that in which I travel). I generally run with a single hop
path...or when I'm out and about with a 5 watt radio in areas where I am not
heard by a big digi, a 2-hop to take advantage of the fill-in digi's.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net