[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types, alternatives

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 23 17:32:30 EST 2006

>>> scott at opentrac.org 03/23/06 2:27 PM >>>
>the rotating path thing just seems like it'd be a
>source of frustration for a lot of people.

But its an option.  If they dont want it then they
should not select it...

>I don't want *any* of my packets going WIDE3-3,

But Proportional Pathing when set to 2 hops never
goes 3 hops.  That again is a user option.

>and most of the time I'm not interested in any of
>them going direct either.  There's usually no one
>in direct range, and I'm still tying up the channel
>from the digi's perspective.

But only 20% of what you would be doing if that same
packet went via a digi.  If a tracker sends a DIRECT
packet, it usually only blocks one digi for 1 second.
If it goes via 1 HOP, then it blocks the first digi for
2 seconds and all 4 surrounding digis for a total area-
wide blockage of FIVE times the QRM.

In my book that's a pretty low load on the network
for someone that needs a 1 minute rate for close in
use...
de Wb4APR< Bob