[aprssig] Sticky Trackers To Be Beta-Tested in Los Angeles

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu Mar 23 16:58:13 EST 2006

Maybe I'll give this a try.. I've got trackers, silly putty, and a spud gun
- I should be ready to go! =]

I think their paintball comparison is a little flawed though.  Aside from
the fact that all of the markers I've used have operated at 300 PSI or more,
they're only firing .68", ~3-gram projectiles.  That's what, 30 lbs of force
exerted on the projectile in the barrel?  Compared to 600 lbs for a 3"
projectile.  A 3" orange fired from a spud gun at right about 85 PSI had
enough force to pulverize the orange into little tiny bits at a range of 20
or 30 feet.

This sounds like it has the potential to cause some serious bodily harm if
misdirected.  I'd really like to see how often they actually manage to get
it deployed properly and have it perform a useful function.

Scott
N1VG