[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing

Wes Johnston johnstonwes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 20:13:50 EST 2006

Lets see how well this turns out if you look at it in a fixed width font....

Time    // Direct  -> Local Digi -> 100 mile town -> 150 mile town
1 min      no path
2 min      WIDE1-1    WIDE1-1
3 min      no path
4 min      WIDE2-2    WIDE2-2       WIDE2-1
5 min      no path
6 min      WIDE1-1    WIDE1-1
7 min      no path
8 min      WIDE3-3    WIDE3-3       WIDE3-2          WIDE3-1

Note that no matter what my path is, people very close to me hear my packet.
Now if the tracker is programmed to transmit a position every 60 seconds,
the locals will hear me every 60 seconds, but the people 150 miles away will
only hear me once every 8 minutes.

If I were to program my tracker for W3-3 every 60 seconds, I'd cover a 150
raduis with my postion every 60 seconds.  I'd be a bandwidth hog.

I like the idea of NSR, but until that takes hold, this idea of rotating
thru paths when sending a position is much preferred to some smuck setting
his tracker to sent WIDE3-3 every 60 seconds just to make sure he gets to an
igate.  Using the smart pathing system, if that smuck sets his path to 3
hops, he'll only go out three hops at 1/8th the base rate of position
reporting.  The tracker itself won't allow him to QRM 3 hops every 60
seconds.

Now, if a tracker were able to compose and send a message (ie the hamhud),
then I think it would be preferable to send that message packet out with the
highest selected number of hops ... 3 hops in my example above.  Position
reports would continue to be sent out on the rotating path method.

Hey, a way to limit mobile's sending the same position while parked all day
is to use the dupe checker with an extended timer... like 255 seconds.  Home
stations send positions every 10 minutes, so it doesn't affect them sending
redundant info.  A car parked sending it's position every 60 seconds will
get into the digi once  unless his position changes, he will not be digi'ed
by the local digipeater during his next 4 attempts.  On the 5th attempt,
he'll get thru.  Or if his position changes he'll get thru because the
checksum of his packet is different.  We just used the "network" to cut
parked car QRM by 5x.  The problem with this is that the digi doesn't know
the difference between a static position and an aprs client sending a
message and retrying.  Alas, the message will get a retry every 5 minutes if
it doesn't get ACKed on the first try.

I'm just not sure that the job of decoding the multitude of aprs packet
types and deciding yea or nay can or should be done at the digipeater level.
Isn't this why we have a 7 layer OSI model?  However it would be handy if
the digi used to stop redundant parked car packets was smart enough to not
stop message type packets... but now I get into a moral delima.
Wes