[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 21 16:18:30 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> The often quoted advantage of smart beaconing
> that on a long straight road will send fewer becons
> is to me a disadvantage.  when I'm headed down the
> interstate at 60 MPH is when I want 1 minute packets
> at least direct so that I have a chance of seeing/
> hearing someone coming the opposite direction.

That's why I quoted my settings as one beacon per XX miles.  You can
set up SmartBeaconing(tm) to beacon once per mile, regardless of
your speed, quite easily.

> Again, not knocking smart beaconing, Its just that
> there are a lot of issues involved in set-up that
> can ruin a good thing.  We have 3 trackers in
> our area that are consuming more bandwidth
> than probably 100 other users.

The default beacon rate and corner-degree settings for most trackers
are fine out-of-the box.  It's when people start screwing with the
settings them without any knowledge of the consequences, or start
adding long paths to the equation that things get out of whack.
Same goes for a non SmartBeaconing(tm) TNC.