[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 21 13:20:37 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 scott at opentrac.org wrote:

> Then you lose the device identifier, and complicate the algorithm.  I don't
> think the added size will be a big deal - transmit with just AUTO, and it
> gets replaced by WIDE1-1, and you're still using 1 slot.  I guess you might
> want ID turned on, so it'd be more like AUTO => N1VG-10*,WIDE1-1.  Even if
> you put the AUTO in the destination field, it's still going to take up the
> same space once it's digi'd.

True, but that initial "tricky" transmission, which is often from a
low-power/poor-antenna portable or mobile station, has a better
chance of making it to one of the home or hill-top digi's if the
packet is as short as possible.  I've done experiments with this and
shorter packets are THE solution to this.  That or transmitting on
an alternate (quiet) input frequency, but even then shorter packets
will help.